The congregation was organized on March 5, 1887, and consisted of seven persons. In 1892, the lots were purchased on which the first church was constructed. It was located at the corner of 9th and Elm and was a small building that was dedicated April 18, 1893. By 1904, it became evident that an even larger building was needed to accommodate the increased population of the Arkansas Valley. The last services were held in the little church on February 11, 1906. While the new building was being erected on the same spot, services were conducted in the Grand Opera House. The new church was dedicated on November 2, 1906. The present Estey pipe organ was purchased in April 1907, and is still used today. In 1967, a decision was made to purchase land on West Washington Avenue for the building of a new church and parsonage. The parsonage was built in 1974 and in the fall of 1975, a ground breaking ceremony was held on the spot where the new church would be built. The first worship service in the present building was held on Easter Sunday 1976.
Choir and parishioners on Sunday morning
Our church building is handicap accessible. There is handicap parking available.
United Methodist Women have two groups that meet at our church. One group meets bi-monthly for lunch meetings. The other group meets 4 or 5 times per year in the evening. Both groups support the missions and other activities of the church. For more information see our "What's happening?" page.
United Methodist Men meet twice monthly at Christine's at 12pm. For more information see our "What's happening?" page.